Thursday, June 28, 2012

Novice XC

Last night was the first ride/lesson after the show on Sunday. I had decided to give Smash Monday off for some R&R and when I showed up Wednesday evening she was definitely well rested! Once I finally got her to stand still long enough to tack her up we went in search of Steph. We ended up sharing the lesson time with another boarder for her first experience going XC and I was happy for the company.

We warmed up in the field and then started our lesson around the show course that was still up. Basically my routine was to jump the BN fence I jumped on Sunday, then loop back around and jump the Novice fence at each station. I accidentally jumped the Training log for jump 1 - whoops - but in my defense the first jump was small and the Training jump really was more of like a Novice height. Jump 2 was the red barn - no problem! Jump 3 were rails. I had to do that one twice because I looked down a little the first time so it wasn't as good as it should've been. Then we mixed things up. I trotted over the bigger ditch to the lattice I jumped Sunday going the opposite direction, looped around to the Novice downhill fence and then back to jump over a Novice feeder. It was awesome!

We worked on the bank a few times before then jumping the BN feeder backwards, to the BN rolltop backwards, to the Novice bending line question. We had to do that a few times since turning was posing to be a slight challenge. It helps to use your legs ;)

Across the street we went to the green rolltops. I jumped the BN rolltop and then around to the Novice green rolltop. Had to do that one a few times since I felt the need to stare at the jump too much. It's GREEN and had leaves in it! I can't help it! Off to the water we went where we did the bank there into the water and over the Novice and Prelim logs!

I ended with a Novice rail jump to the water that I had to do a few times because I didn't get my leg on in the right way at first.

It felt absolutely AMAZING to be doing the Novice course so soon after the show! I thought we'd need to ease into it but I found myself eager and ready to do more and more Novice fences! Steph thought it was funny how just a week ago she was encouraging me to go over the BN fences and now here I was asking to do bigger and harder jumps! Kind of funny how dramatically I've changed over a month but I LOVE it!

I also can't help thinking having another student ride with us may have also encouraged me to be braver (strength in numbers??) but I'll take what I can get ;)

Next week - DRESSAGE! The Official Sport of the Summer! ...and to help get me into a high standing right off the bat in the August Event so I don't have to pray for knocked rails or refusals in Stadium/XC for the other riders ;)

No comments: