Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Last XC Schooling before the Show

Yesterday we switched up the schedule and did XC schooling instead of Stadium since I'm going to be doing the schooling/practice show tomorrow as my stadium practice. Already I have noticed they are moving xc jumps into course position for the unrated show on Sunday and I'm getting excited! It's kind of nice to have a small upper hand on the show by seeing the course (I don't know exactly which jumps or in what order yet but some you can just tell since they are in a logical position) and getting to practice over the elements. I told Smash while she's in the field to start memorizing the course ;)

Last night we started with a proper warm up and getting Smash's attention. She loves xc SO much now that she just wants to gallop around half listening - not cool. We first got a proper trot and then canter before we headed off to the water to start. We went through the water and over a log, around to another log, over a coop, up and down a very tiny bank, and then up and down a bigger bank. We then moved to the filled in ditch and green roll top thing that looks a little intimidating to me. We schooled it twice so I would get the correct position over it since the first time we went over it I was starting to grab at the reins and stare at the fence. Then we headed to the Hay field where we went over a little barn type jump, a roll top, the split log and knoll, a slant, and then some major bank practice since I kept throwing the reins away and ended up eating some grass at one point. *sigh* By the end of the lesson I had it down, though, and now I feel less worried about losing my balance or throwing off Smash's at a down bank.

All in all, aside from my little tumble, I thought it was a good last practice! I feel really prepared for the show and excited, too! I know I can do this now! Where as before I hesitated. Tomorrow is the practice show and I'm excited about that, too. I'm going to wear my tall boots, too, so I get the real feel for what Sunday will be like. The format of the show is very flexible but you have to do a minimum of 2 jumping rounds. Optimally I'd like to go jump a course that has mixed 2'3"-2'6" jumps since I won't get the opportunity to jump a 2'3" course before my 2'6" course the day of the show and then jump it again just to clean up any trouble spots I might have.

My Mom is riding with Maura Dupuy right before I take Smash O/F in a clinic. I'm excited to hear how her ride goes! It'll be her practice before Sunday, too, since she'll be riding Smash in Intro A and Intro B at the show. She's had some great lessons with Steph T. and I know she's feeling more confident with Smash in general, too.

For your viewing pleasure, below is the link to yesterday's Helmet Cam action. I decided to end it after the fall since once we caught her all we did was practice the bank a few times before calling it a day. Didn't think that was very exciting. Anyway - Enjoy! CLICK HERE

No comments: