Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Riding

What a weekend of riding! This weekend I took a little road trip with my Mom to Wilson College in PA to visit Monty. It has been 2 years since I donated him to the school and I had the sudden urge to finally see him. We drove up at 10am and finally arrived a little after 11:30am. I found Monty in Barn 2. The whole facility was great. 3 barns 2 indoor rings an outdoor ring and a cross country course! Monty looked just how I'd left him and I was happy he was still nice and fat. I was worried he would be too thin since he was hard to keep weight on - but it seems as if Wilson College knows how to keep him healthy. He gets 8 flakes of hay a day!! Talk about sparing no expense!! I found someone in charge and told them who I was and she told me I could hop on him and do whatever I wanted. It was weird not having any sort of rules but I went with the flow. I tacked Monty up and I could tell he just wasn't the same. He was still sweet and willing, but his spunky personality was definitely toned down. He didn't recognize me like I somehow thought he would and he definitely had a school horse mentality - a little sour. I dragged him to the outdoor ring and got on. He walked, trotted, and cantered wonderfully and was actually more balanced than I ever really got him to be. Then I popped him over some fences and he was like a push button horse! I couldn't believe it! He could find his own spots and was so even paced through the line to get the correct strides!! I could tell he had some fun jumping and I remembered why I had loved him so much. I didn't know what else to do with him so I hopped off after only about 15 minutes and took him back. I felt some better closure with him and that I really had grown out of him. He wouldn't be a challenge for me to ride anymore and we had both changed over the past 2 years. Sad to admit, but I was happy he was teaching little kids how to ride and was such an asset to the program. I left with my Mom and some great pics and a satisfied feeling about Monty's future.

Sunday I went back to Cathy's for a lesson in the rain on Satchmo. Satchmo was really quite good despite the cold icky weather and we even were schooling over 2'3" fences :) Cathy's plan is school him at home no lower than 2'3"-2'6" then we can show him at 2' next spring :) I'm excited! Hope Satchmo is excited, too! LOL!

I guess that's really it for the update over Thanksgiving weekend. :) yay horses!!

No comments: