Thursday, August 16, 2012

Then and Now

So while uploading a ton of videos last night and this morning I decided to go back and watch some of the videos I took of me and Smash from earlier this year/last year and I can definitely see a difference! Not to mention, in a couple of weeks will mark the 1 year anniversary of owning Smash!

Here's a video from Loch Moy's Practice show where I jumped Smash over 18" compared to last night's Waredaca Practice show over 2'6".

Things I noticed in the Loch Moy Show was how completely sloppy Smash was jumping and how we couldn't figure out a pace at all. She pulled herself with her shoulders/front end over every single fence and was not really in sync with me at all. My position was weak, too. I could see myself looking at each fence as we came to it - more than Smash was! (definitely a bad habit I've been working hard on lately to correct) I wasn't letting Smash jump and I was trying to jump for her.

Things I noticed at the Waredaca Show was how Smash does still pull over some fences but not all of them. It seemed like if she took a longer spot she was more inclined to lead with her front end but she was getting closer to fences and getting better spots and not nearly as sloppy with her legs. Our pace was much more forward/powerful but not fast. And I wasn't looking at any of the fences and in turn Smash had to look and jump while I just guided and supported her.

Meanwhile I found another video - one of my first XC videos with Smash 2 years ago again at Loch Moy but doing BBN. This was before I owned her and our first show together. Compare that with the xc video from Full Moon and going schooling at Loch Moy last Sunday.Now granted Smash was only 5 at the time of Loch Moy's show but I can actually see some of her development and maturity/experience just in how she carries herself. I notice mostly my position and attitude going xc and I'm glad it's much improved!

I don't have any videos from our absolute failure year but I do have a couple of pictures that illustrates my frustration and why these past few months have been SO great for us:




Not sure if you can tell but we were getting into a lot of trouble. In both cases we didn't complete the Event that day. I got eliminated at Waredaca and I scratched Loch Moy's XC because I was so exhausted from over jumping the stadium. So while we started out well as a duo we definitely hit a wall and now we are back on track and actually even better! It's a shame I couldn't have had smooth sailing this whole time but I definitely learned a lot from both good and bad days!

No comments: