Monday, August 27, 2012

Best Horse Shopping Places in MD

Disclaimer: These are just my personal preferences. There are many different shops in MD that I probably don't know of or never have been to so this list is limited to only what I prefer and know. Please feel free to add any I have missed or your personal favorites in the comments section! :)

Growing up riding in Maryland I had to buy a lot of riding apparel and gear. Depending on where I lived or rode depended on where I shopped.

Before the internet (yes there was a time before online shopping!) we used to just go by word of mouth. My first tack shop I remember visiting was The Grey Pony in Laurel, MD. Between there and what was once Gayers (now Outback Leather) we had everything we needed. Outback is notorious for saddle and boot adjustments!

When I went off to college, in southern MD, I shopped online and at a tack shop run by Mennonites. The only thing was they had no electricity in the shop so you had to shop in daylight!  The shop owner would order you whatever you needed and it'd be there in a matter of days! Southern States was another good place to pick up a few necessities. Online shopping was finally in full swing and to this day I still frequent sites like Dover Saddlery and Stateline Tack.

After moving to Ellicott City, MD/Baltimore and riding at a new barn in Mt Airy we discovered Bits and Bridles (no longer in business) which was SUPER convenient! A one stop shop! Sadly they went out of business so now we frequent Stablemates in Carroll County.

Stablemates is good for things you can't wait to order online or if you have any questions about a new product you are thinking of trying. Not to mention to try on boots or clothes and their sales are really good! I also make sure to check out Tack of the Day. If you have not heard of it, go now! Every day there are 2 sale items and it's the best deal out there! I also like shopping with Smartpak because their prices are good and their customer service and reviews are really good, too! Last but not least I have also shopped through Jeffer's Equine. They don't have too much but for medical supplies and general horse care, they are great. They ship almost immediately. Obviously you can also shop directly to manufacturers/brand names like Ariat and Kerrits but I find I learn more about what's "in" and what actually works from the other sites I listed above.

I have not gotten a chance to check out the new Maryland Saddlery Consignment horse shop in Gambrills, MD  or their original shop Maryland Saddlery nor ever been to any of the Dover shops but I hear great things about them, too. Also, a favorite show/last minute omg I need it now because my horse just ate/broke it vendor is Bit of Britain. I see them a lot at Events.

Where do you shop for horse essentials in MD?


1 comment:

Liz said...

I shop at Stablemates, State Line Tack, Bit of Britain. Sometimes Tack of the Day. That's about it.