Monday, August 6, 2012

The Show that Never Was

Oh Smash. *sigh* What am I going to do with you?

That's what ran through my head all day yesterday when Smash refused to get on the trailer. We tried the new method of backing Smash up to encourage her to go forward and she listened better while just walking around but not in getting on the trailer. Robert came out and helped us in the end and now we have yet another technique to try/practice but we missed our ride times.

It was almost a blessing in disguise because after we got Smash on the trailer and drove around the block it down poured right around the time I would've ridden! That would've SUCKED if we were at the show and it rained like that. And we made the goal of the day just to get Smash on the trailer - which thankfully we accomplished.

We don't have any off property events scheduled for a few months which is good but it means we have to make time to get the trailer moved every few weeks just so we can practice. The more we practice, the less time it will eventually take to get Smash onto the trailer. And then I will feel confident again about leaving the property and the help from Robert.

I can't help but feel a bit disappointed about the day. I mean, yes, we got her on the trailer - a HUGE success! but we missed our show and I just hate that I threw money away and my Mom didn't get to do her dressage show all because of Smash's stubbornness. She's not afraid of the trailer - she's just a brat. *sigh* I guess you win some and you lose some.

If it's not my crazy nerves, it's something else... but I know Smash is not the only horse who needs help with loading and I know this is a battle I will eventually win. It just will take some time. It doesn't erase the fact that it's completely frustrating but I'm starting to think nothing about horses/riding/horse ownership isn't frustrating!

Next event - Rated show at Waredaca (at least I won't throw that entry fee down the drain due to trailering issues!)

1 comment:

Liz said...

Sigh. So goes life. We go ever onward and upward. At least we have a new technique to use.