Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Normal Horse Ailments = Embarrassing Owner Moments

If you're like me - you'd rather save a couple bucks whenever and however you can for horse stuff. Namely medication. Everyone knows how a simple tube of eye cream can cost $100 only to realize later you could've bought something at CVS that would've done the same thing for $10. BUT it seems like if you save a couple of bucks going with an  OTC (over the counter) option you end up spending your time in pharmacies in the most embarrassing sections and receiving some weird looks instead.

I consider myself pretty unaffected by what the teller's at CVS think but there have been a few occasions where I couldn't help but want to wear dark glasses and a hat for some of the things I've had to buy. While I was in college I owned another horse, Monty (The Full Monty), who had chronic scratches on his corneas. Scratches always led to eye infections and lots of vet bills. (later we diagnosed him with not creating enough tears which led to a dry eye which led to scratching and scratches and infections) Well on one occasion my vet told me to go to the store and get Monistat cream for the infection in his eye. Seriously. Monistat. Not only is buying Monistat cream embarrassing as it is, now stores lock them up (as if someone is going to steal and sell yeast infection cream on the streets... really??! Let the Monistat FREE!), so not only did I have to ask a store employee to unlock me some monistat but I then had to deal with the cashier's looks, too. I wanted to announce to everyone "THIS IS FOR MY HORSE'S EYE INFECTION! I SWEAR!" but I just know all people would respond is with one of those "you 'horse's eye infection' huh?? Is that what you wanna call it now? ...hope your "horse eye" feels better" and I'd still leave frustrated.

Around that same time Monty had a clover rash/burn on his nose that can be easily cleared up with Desitin. Diaper rash cream. So now I'm in my late teens in the baby aisle loading up in COSTCO on giant tubes of Desitin. Diaper rash cream isn't as bad as Monistat but, again, I felt the need to announce that this was for my horse and I did not have a baby with severe diaper rash. Nor was it for me or my potential diaper rash issues.

Smash has not caused me to buy too many embarrassing ointments for her thus far but just today I was looking for ichthammol to help with her abscess (I'm 99% sure that's what is plaguing her) at Target since it can be used on humans, too. I couldn't find it so I asked the Pharmacist if they had any to which she replied no they didn't carry it but when I went to CVS (Why is it only CVS carries all these weird creams and ointments??) to also keep an eye out for Boil Ease. You've got to be kidding me. Boil Ease?! *sigh* I pretended that was not something embarrassing to shop for and went on my way. I guess I should consider not finding ichthammol anywhere a blessing since further research on abscesses led me to being able to make a poultice out of Epsom salt and water but you better believe I searched CVS's aisles first for Boil Ease and when I couldn't locate it had to ask another pharmacist for help.

There are other OTC horse medications that aren't so embarrassing (thank goodness!) you can buy for common horse ailments. For example, Saline Solution is great for cleaning out wounds/cuts and Witch Hazel is a cheap liniment. Gauze is cheaper at CVS than the tack shop but vet wrap is NOT! And in terms of equipment human hair clippers are WAY cheaper (but do not come in large size for body clipping) than at any horse store.

What OTC medications/salves/equipment items do you buy for your common horse ailments? Share in the comments!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Horse equestrian Supplies is a business which has been active now for a number of years trading at shows and events throughout the country.We always build a solid working relationship with our suppliers in order to maximize the range, but also to get the best deals which we can pass on to you the customer.
Horse Supplies